Welcome to the Governors Information Page
For Birchwood Avenue Primary School
Your Chair of Governors is Pat Christian.
Let me explain a little of what we do as a Governing Body here at Birchwood:
The three main functions of the governing body are:
- To provide a strategic overview by setting aims and objectives for the school and by adopting policies and setting targets for achieving those aims and objectives.
- To monitor and evaluate the schools progress towards achieving its aims and to act as a “critical friend” to the Headteacher and the Leadership Management Team(LT) by supporting and challenging them in managing the school.
- To ensure accountability to the pupils, the parents, the local community, the local authority and the staff with the aim of raising standards and improving the outcomes for the pupils at our school.
The governors are not responsible for the day to day management of the school - this is the Headteachers role. The Headteacher and Leadership Management Team are also responsible for the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing body, the implementation of the school's policies and the internal organisation of the school.
The governing body meet once a term (six times per year) and delegate some areas of work to committees. The governing body has established the following committees: Personnel, Curriculum, Finance, Premises, Health and Safety, Heads Performance. The governors have also set up a working party to deal with a wide variety of issues including new rules and regulations that may come into force.
Examples of the work undertaken by governors are:
- Setting and reviewing targets for pupil performance.
- Approving and reviewing the school budget, along with the headteacher.
- Interviewing candidates for Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher positions.
- Setting objectives and targets for the Headteacher and monitoring their performance.
Drop In Sessions:
This is something we as a governing body feel may benefit all parents and carers. However we would appreciate your feedback as to whether you would find this useful. In March when your child has their Parents evening I will be there to answer any questions about this service or any other matter.
Please remember you can always contact us through the school office and one of us will get back to you as soon as possible, alternately you can email us at:
So who are we?
If you are interested in finding out more about becoming a Governor yourself, please contact the Chair of Governors, and you may find the following website of interest for more detailed information about our role and responsibilities: www.governornet.co.uk
We are committed to providing a fully inclusive environment for all at Birchwood Avenue Primary School.